As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Saturday, November 15, 2008

From Mt. Sinai

I'm nearing the end of six days in Dahab, on the east coast of the Sinai Peninsula. It has ranged from a lot of work, to relaxing on the beaches and making my way to the crystal blue water for a refreshing dip.

The work portion of it was doing the trek up Mt. Sinai. Most of the tours are meant to have you at the top for either sunset or sunrise. I opted for sunrise and didn't book the trip until only a few hours before we left, at 11:00 p.m. I didn't get a chance to sleep or nap before I went on the early morning hike. This wasn't going to be a big deal though, because from what I thought I read in the lonley planet, this wasn't an extremely difficult hike..............that wasn't true.

It was about 4 hours to the top or a trail packed with tourists, touts and camels (and camel poop), no larger than most hiking trails in B.C. As we got to the top weather started to play a factor as well, as it usually does at high altitudes, "just not in a place like Egypt" said Kevin to himself.............Wrong again, before the son came over the horizon, it was about 0-5C with a strong wind chill. My light jacket wasn't cutting it. Luckly for me, blankets were being sold to the ill prepared, so I was fortunate enough to be able to bundle up in one, as everybody else who brought ski-jackets with them to Egypt........who does that anyway......actually were the bright ones.

The sunrise was amazing! We were above the clouds and the sun came through them almost like it would out of a mirage. I've got pictures..............you'll see them! The hike up was great to, as we had great illumination from the full moon.

The relaxing portion of Dahab was today, when I slept in, went for a swim in the Red Sea and sat on a patio by the ocean with book and a few beverages. It was top shelf.

Other highlights include having an Egyptian barber give me a shave. I've got the beard happening, he just had to clean up the neck, and apparently I asked him to pluck my ear, cheek, forehead and nose hair as well, which he did. The English guy that brought me to his shop couldn't stop laughing at this. Unfortunately there are no pics either, as we did it on a whim and I didn't have my camera with me.

Not much more happening for me as the trip winds down. Going into Jordan tomorrow to see Petra which is an ancient city carved out of rock, I hadn't heard about it until I got here, so I don't know much, other than it gets high praise from a lot of the tourists out here. The following day I catch a bus back to Cairo to catch a few sights I have yet to get to there before I catch my flight back home.

Look forward to sharing the stories in person then,

Kev

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

This trip sounds pretty kickass. Can't wait to see photos!

I enjoyed your barber experience via blog...hillarious.

12:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home