As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Sunday, November 09, 2008

My lost marble

I got up the yesterday morning hoping to do a few "adminstrative things" before I went off for a final day to catch a few more spots in Cairo. I had to buy my train ticket to Luxor, use the internet, purchase a flight to Siani and get some cash. All went well until I had to get some cash.......

Despite a few re-assurances from friends who had been to Egypt and the Lonely Planet, it appeared as though accessing money would not be a problem via the local ATM's. This is why I didn't bring to much cash either. So I got up early and made my way to the Nile Hilton where they had an HSBC ATM among others. I attmpeted to put my debit card into the machine and it wouldn't even go 1/2 way in. I'm not off to a good start here!

But not a big deal, there is a row of 4 ATMS, so I'll move onto the next one, from an Arab bank. Got all the way to then end where the machine spits out your moeny and I got the "We don't recognize your financial institution" screen. While still composing myself, I did the same thing to the neighbouring ATM and got the same screen. This made me real nervous..........however because it was 8 in the morning and rush hour doesn't start until 10am here, I figure I would try to talk with an agent when the bank opens. So I did the rest of the business that I needed to and made my way back to the Hilton. I tried the ATM's again and they were a no-go, but there was a bank in the hotel that was open.

Before I turn the corner to go in, all I hear is a woman loosing it on the cashier and I'm hearing words like "call Canada" and "my bank said it was okay". I'm thinking I'm not alone here, somebody else is having the same problem. So I just sit and watch her to see how she handles it and she gets nothing. She then see's my Candadian bag tag and smerks to me, "it's not going to work for you either"....is that a challenge????

I hand my visa over to the clerk and his first swipe gets nothing, he then adjusts the connection to the back of the machine, swipes again and out comes my money. What a huge relief. I thought I would literally be spending the rest of my vacation on the beach and fishing with my hands as I Was down to my last $30 in cash.

A few other things of note:

- Was told that I look like an Egyptian, as the beard continues to grow

- Saw coptic Cairo yesterday, which was stunning! The purity of some of the early depections of Christ were amazing!

- The travel size stick of deoderant I bought is actually anti-persperant......Ive got nothing to help the fact that I haven't showered in about 26 hours now.

- Took the night train last night and I'm in Luxor now, staying at a $3/night hostel.......had to do it, as I learned that the ferry to Siani is rather unpredictable so I puchased a flight from Luxor to Siani.

- The sun goes up at 6am and down at 6pm every day here.....wierd when it's dark by 7pm and still hot out......I'm sure those back home can relate to the darkness thing.......

Kev

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev,

Glad you got your cash - although it could be interesting if the remainder of your time was spent on the beach fishing for your dinner . . . you'd come back with some good stories :)

Enjoy Luxor! Excited to hear more about your adventures there :)

Love you,

Alex*

7:08 AM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

I was alerted by Matt Davis that you're in Egypt and posting...good to hear! Interesting stories thus far. I'd love to see pictures as well...and I may be home sooner than predicted, so we'll have to catch up then! :)

Andrea

6:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home