As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Thai Getaway

It was vacation time for me, so this past week, because I am in Korea, I had to make good use of my time here and go somewhere on this side of the world. I choose Thailand, and I wasn’t disappointed. Here is the abbreviated account of what we did.

Day One
Seoul to Bangkok, slept (by slept I mean didn’t sleep) in the airport at Bangkok, waiting for our next flight 10 hours later.

Day Two
Made our way to Koh Samui. It was rainy and ugly out, so Dan and I were both bummed about it. So we hoped for sun the next day, and went to bed, to make up for our lack of sleep the night before.

Day Three
Spent the day on Koh Samui (Island about 20km2) riding motorcycles around the island, going to various beaches, waterfalls, and restaurants. Great day, the tropical fruit drinks out here are great. Particularly coconut milkshakes served in coconuts that they take off the tree right in front of you, as you sit by the ocean.

After riding around, we deserved a Thai massage (clean and legal!). They are infamous, I now know why. This would be the first of many

Day Four
Hopped back on the buses and ferries and made our way to Ao Nang beach near Krabi, on the Indian Ocean. It was another long day of traveling, but after spending 3 or 4 days here, it was worth it. What a spectacular area!

We met a couple Swedish guys on the trip over and spent some time with them, while also going for another Thai massage. Although this one was on the beach. A sweet massage on the beautiful coast. This was the vacation I was looking for!

Day Five
Went island hoping and snorkeling in the area. Swimming on white beaches, in clear water, small islands, with great coral for snorkeling……………..it was just like the pictures!

We then had a transfestite serve us dinner. Or maybe a woman with a deep voice, I leave that option open, although all signs point to the former.

Day Six
Rented a few kayaks and hit up the various beaches in the area that you can only get to by boat. It was outstanding (I’m starting to run shy of words to describe how great this place is!!!) Was in and out of the water on this day, when we felt like it. Water was beautiful, sea caves everywhere, oh boy, it was nice!

The day on the water was cut short though, by incoming clouds, we ended kayaking back to the beach we rented it from into the wind, through rain, and a thunderstorm. I was paddling with all I had (I was getting a little nervous………….). But we made it.

Day Seven
Went rock climbing, on actual rock! We were hanging over the ocean. Once again, it was good.

Finished the day with a good foot scrub. The masseuses do everything, so I thought I would mix it up a bit, and after wearing flip-flops for a week, the feet were a bit nasty. So I literally had a layer of skin removed from my foot.

Day Eight
Our last day in Krabi, so we did a bit of shopping, really only stuff we could fit in our overstuffed bags (I only brought a small backpack), Then concluded the vacation portion of the trip with a visit to the masseuse on the beach. I went with a nice foot massage. It was stellar!

Day Nine
Flew back to Korea. Tried to meet with a buddy in Bangkok, but it didn’t work out, so Dan and I got on the next flight (red-eye, still paying the consequences for that one) back to Seoul, and our vacation time was done.

If you followed all that, well done, I’m impressed, it may have been boring, but I hope it was informative.

Whats next? Gotta force myself to sleep, good night.

Happy New Year
Kev

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done boys! Don't ya' think it would have been fun to have your mama's their too? A little jealous, but happy for the two of you!

2:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kev,
Looks like an amazing time. I am glad it is what you wanted it to be...so exactly how many massages did you guys get?
j

1:45 AM

 
Blogger Kev said...

Saw the massuse 4 times

2 massages

1 foot scrub

1 foot massage

I still don't feel that was enough...........

5:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home