As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Doin' the Dew


One of the nice nuances about being in Korea has been getting to know the Koreans. Paek Dew Yhoung (a.k.a. Dew) has been no exception. We have gotten to know him through Dan's need for dry cleaning as his dad does this for Dan periodically. He then came over to our place about 10 months ago, and Dew has been over every week since then.

He is the type who will see our apartment light on, on his way to his house and stop by. He is also one who doesn't quite understand when we are joking and will often lose concepts in translation, as his English is a tad broken. He has been a great host and a ton of fun, I have come to really enjoy him. So with my departure from Korea just around the corner, we took to the Han River for a day full of fun and adventure, on a pair of rental rollerblades and a bike path.
L to R; Myself, Dew, Dan and Cameron (fellow teacher)
Paek Dew Yhoung, translator exrordinaire!!!...................sort of, the effort is definentely there.

Speaking of some up and coming Shorteu Tuwack (as in short track speed skating) talent, here I go. There are two reasons this picture is significant.

a) I have my hands behind my back as Asians do all the time, particularity when they want to mimic their favorite athletes. The only pieces I am missing are the trendy uniforms, helmet and pads which would be exactly the same as those who are blading with me.

b) In an attempt to be as aerodynamic as possible, I went to the barber for a little clean up. What has normally been a dependable source for my appearance on top, happened to lose something in translation this time. As I watched that razor go up and up all I could think was, "this will be interesting.........oh man, that's MY head". Dan's first comment was, "you look like your dad!"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huge hello to Dew for me! It was a pleasure to meet him while in Korea! Looking like your dad?? Yikes......!

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:00 PM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home