As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Saturday, April 15, 2006

My Work Pants

"Pants always beats no pants" - Jerry Seinfeld

I brought three pairs of work pants when I came out here. The dress code as I understood it before I arrived was essentially no jeans, and a nice shirt. T-Shirts were even fine, as long as they aren't derogative in any way. Can do, khakies it is!

I also heard (from a foreign teacher I contacted at a school I turned down) that you would have no problems buying clothes out here, even though my 6'2" (actually just under 6'2", but males have to round up don't we!) frame tends to be a few inches above most Koreans.

We'll, this may be the case for some people, but for a westerner who doesn't speak the language nor am one to dress like the natives, this has been incredibly difficult, often not worth the effort or hastle considering their are other things I would rather do.

So where has this left me in terms of clothes that I should wear 5 days a week.................10 months later, I am down to one pair of "go to pants" and another two that don't fit as well as they did when they arrived, nor look as good as my "go to's". The thing is, the button on my "go to" pants are one bad washing machine experience away from no longer being effective. Never mind the marker and pen stains that I have gained from little kindergarteners.

This has simply left me hoping that my 3 pant rotation can hold another few months before I can retire them from my repitoir. I'm getting nervous..................

............................

This is just one example of the things I think and daydream about when I'm in my 10th month of sitting in front of a computer evaluating little Korean children.

Back to work.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Solution:

a) go to Itaewon. Off the main drag there are tons of "western sized" stores that are underground.

b) meet an army friend and buy american clothes on base.

There ya go...advice all the way from Indonesia. How'd ya like that?

7:06 PM

 
Blogger Kev said...

I need a tissue, not advice

a) I try to spend as little time in Itaewon as possbile, therefore buying close there is a last option. If I must I will, but i'm not must yet.

b) I don't want to, see above

9:29 PM

 
Blogger jennspencer said...

maybe your mom will bring some over for you?????

1:06 AM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

You DO need a tissue! I'll bring you a Balinesian one when I come from here in a couple days to Korea!

11:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Kevin!! Mama to the rescue!! I will add pants to the list of things to bring!! See you soon!

12:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home