As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Back at the Circus

This past weekend began what will be a "gong show" (for lack of a better term), next few weeks and this is how it went.

A few members of the Olson clan arrived (dad, brother and uncle), and if you know the family, you would think that would be just it wouldn't you! But no, it was great to see them, as it always is great to see people from home over here. The real adventure began with our Korean friend and weekend tour guide Ssang-dong. He is a friend of both Dan and myself from Briercrest. A great guy, but yet in typical Korean fashion, a bit of a loose cannon with a few things.

Dan mentioned that we were planning on heading up to the mountains for the weekend and he was invited so he thought he would take us to a time share condo and rent a van for all of us. Which sounded great, particularly for me as I am able to drive in this country, so I got behind the wheel for a bit. But the adventure was just as frequent as Ssang-dong's ability to slam on the brakes. Every chance he could he would. Dan and I were both oblivious having spent plenty of time here and getting used to it, but this wasn't the case for our recent guests, who let us know that he wasn't the smoothest ride.

Not only that, every five minutes (maybe even less) he would roll down the window and yell (literally) at the car beside us to ask directions. He would then forget 30 seconds later and do it again. It was hilarious, although I think my limited ability to read Korean would have gotten us to our destination a little quicker, courtesy of the well signed road, which I'm not sure Ssang-dong even realized existed.

Needless to say, it was quite and adventure and just another reminded of how life is different in Korea than in N. America.

The next few weeks consist of evaluations, evaluations, evaluations, phone tests, monthly guides, a visit to the dentist and a weekend in Beijing with mom and dad, followed by a weekend in Seoul with mom and dad. It'll be great! Yet chaotic.............

Kev

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home