As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Friday, November 11, 2005

Oh Boy, Pepero

So while those of you in the motherland are recognizing Remeberance/Veterans Day, the kids in Korea decided to spend November 11th eating sticks of candy. Let's make this clear, they don't need a special day for a reason to eat candy, the eat it like it may not be around tomorrow.

But what makes this day so special is the date it falls on and the candy this causes the kids to eat. November 11th, is also 11/11. It looks like sticks, so what happens is everybody gives each other sticks of candy. These are the kind that are long, thin and round crackers covered with chocolate. I don't know how else to explain it. I like them.

As a result I got tonnes of candy from the kids today. Most of it is now sitting on the kitchen table, but there was one student in particular who's kind gift ended up providing a bit of a misunderstanding that required the help of a translator. Here it goes.

I was sitting in the staff room eating chicken on a stick/a chicken kebob. When Enya, one of my best students comes through the door with a big box full of Pepero, all for me (Sorry Dan). With one hand swinging to wipe the food off my face and with a mouth full of food, I look over at her as she hands me the box and I say, "O boy". I couldn't believe the size of the box she gave me. I had had a few students give me single sticks and it was nice, but she had a box, so I was a little shocked and said, "O boy!"

The catch is that Enya is a girl, and these Korean children learning English don't yet understand certain English expressions. So her face turned blank as the big smile on her face was gone and she walked out. I tried calling after her but she was out the door. All I heard was her receding voice saying, "you called me a boy", with three other classmates standing at the door agreeing with her and pointing their fingers at me.

So I went into damage control, as I went after her and she wanted nothing to do with me. I followed her around trying to explain what I said, but she was convinced that I called her a boy. Finally a Korean teacher came around the corner and heard the whole thing play out, and she explained to Enya that I was actually amazed at what she had given me, I wasn't implying masculinity.

Needless to say, she laughed, and was fine after that. Class went well, and she was happy as she understood what I was saying.

Whew.

Happy Peppero Day you all, me it be full of as much adventure as mine was!

Kev

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Oh boy",...that is the best story ever! Thanks for the laugh.

7:44 AM

 
Blogger Kev said...

Dan - Speaking of Liars

Sheilagh - Thanks for the note, welcome to the world of blogging commenters, where 1,300ish visits have been made, but only about 40-50 comments have been made. I like comments!

Kev

11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home