As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Sunday, September 04, 2005

uyu = milk

"If you speak three languages, you are trilingual. If you speak two languages, you are bilingual. And if you only speak one language.....................your American"

These were pastor Leo's opening lines to his sermon this week. He says it as an American expat and I to say it with the portion of me that is American. Dual citizenship only gives me the ability to make fun of myself I suppose.....................and an army to get me out of here if the case were to arise!

Going offtrack. I took Korean my first stab at Korean lessons this week. I didn't think I would as any Asian language just looks to intimidating, but I heard that Korean was the easiest to learn of them all. Here is a brief list of the words I knew prior to taking the lessons

annyong haseyo = hello
coke = coke (the list of foods and beverages can go on here..................)
kamsa hamnida = thank you
yok = station (good for having cabs drop me off at the nearest subway station)
hanna guseyo = 1 please
dugge guseyo = 2 please
saage guseyo = 3 please
canada sarong = Canadian person, translation is person not citizen
miguk sarong = American person
hagwon = private school, my work

Now after one lesson I know how to say the following words

uyu = milk
....................
....................
....................

One would think I would ask for my money back, but for 30 bucks of 14 hours of lessons, I win.

To this point we have just been studying the simple vowels, which make sense, and I get them but I can't for the life of me make the phonetical noises that I need to in order to be understood. My mouth will have to make noises I don't think it can. We shall see how this turns out.

The funny story in all of this was running into Chad Graham, a former Briercrest buddy, on the subway platform on the way to the lessons. How random is that, I still can't get over it and it still makes me laugh. As I am doing right now..............................

This week will officially represent the three month mark. So I bought a nice winter jacket. $300 jacket for $180. Yellow of course. Kevin's citrus clothing theme continues..........Picture later.

The time out here has been good, as I learn about another culture, language, ways to deal with children that don't listen to you or understand what you say, and of course myself, which I will keep to myself for now.

Thanks for reading, I miss you all.
Kev
Kev

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

You can now ask for uyu to drink when you're eating Kayleen's mighty fine cookies...

Mom's rock.

12:30 AM

 
Blogger Kev said...

ooooooooooo,

That is a great idea. To bad I already finished them off!

Fat Kev

9:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy three month mark! I could have and should have made cookies for Andrea....my bad! Kevy's mama taught him to share....did that happen?

11:50 AM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

He shared a few. But you really didn't want to break his focus. He zeroed in on that box and didn't really make a peep until he was satisfied.
Hillarious.

2:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home