As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Great Festivus............

Great, Happy, Merry, Wonderful, I'm not sure how to appropriately greet somebody for the Korean holiday we are now celebrating, or taking a day off for. It's Chusak, which in North America we know as Thanksgiving. As important as Thanksgiving is in Canada, it carries a little more significance to an American, where they will generally go head over heals to get to a place with family or what not. That is the same feeling here in Korea, where approximately 40 million people go to where ever home is or where they may have grown up. This is essentially why I have stayed at home this weekend. I have heard that it may take up to 8 hours to travel 30 km's by car. As much as I would love to see the country, that really doesn't interest me so much.

So what have I done with myself this weekend, not to much. The weeks continue to move along faster and faster, and I have come to realize that my time out here will be over before I know it, so no sense in waiting for "later" to do certain things, because the longer you wait to hold them off, the more likely they are not to happen. This brought, Dan, Rob and I to Lotte World this weekend. This is Korea's West Edmonton Mall. I say that cause it's a huge mall with an amusement park, bigger than West Ed. however, not quite to the size or magnitude of a Disneyland.

To be anticlimactic, all we did was ride rides. Some good roller coasters, and free falls, but nothing exceptional. We did however go for a skate and that is a story. I have skated most of my life, but never had to skate with figure skates (they wouldn't allow hockey skates). This was pain and suffering. I had a toe pick. And I fell on one occasion and tripped myself on many others. However this one occasion that I did fall, I did so right into one of the many large puddles on the ice. And because I fell forward, as I slid, I gathered more water to form one larger puddle, which I found myself in. This didn't make Kevin super happy about anything.

But being mad, bitter angry does nothing for anybody, so I grinned and bore it for a while, until I decided enough was enough, and it was time to sit from the side and watch, with most of the front of my body soaking wet.

I hope that isn't to abrupt. I think the pictures this week will do a little more in what went on, as we had a great day with the kids, as they all got dressed up in their traditional Korean wear (can't remember what it's called) and played Korean games.

Kev

1 Comments:

Blogger Kev said...

Patti, glad you could make it and had a great time. It was great to see you when we could. Hope the transition back to life at home goes well for you.

Kev

9:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home