As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Friday, July 15, 2005

Unbelievable

Do you ever understand what you miss or don't miss by being on the road at the specific time that you were, and not a second later when you watch a crash in your rear view mirror? Or when you just happen to run into free stuff that you really needed because you were at the right place at the right time?

I had one of those experiences the other day on the subway. I have been helping a Korean university student (legal, not getting paid!!!!!) with her spoken English as she has a phone interview for an exchange program she wants to be in, so through one of the teachers at my school, I was asked to help her out. So we had planned to meet at 8:30 at her work. Fair enough, enough time for dinner and a quick nap (hence one of my nicknames, "possum") and then I had to be off to the subway. So I did, I had to take two subways to get to her house so after getting off one, I bolted for the other and was literally the last passenger on. So I sat down and made myself comfortable for the 30 minutes ride.

Now, let me tell you what I have been asking God lately. I have been asking him to show me his church, what is it about the people and the church? Why are they such prayer animals? I say this because teaching has had frustrating moments (alongside great ones, no doubt) but some days the frustrating ones outdue the others and I have been calling out to God, why! Why send me here with these little ones when I can just go play with them at camp? Essentially I know I have a lot to learn about His church, and that is why I am here. I suppose I just disguise myself as a teacher.

Let me not get off track, after sitting down on the subway I see a Korean man sitting right across from me with a Korean newspaper and an English paper. This isn't uncommon, but this time something simply struck me about the guy. He looked "cool" I suppose. He was an older guy that was just confident with himself. He had a bit of a combover, short and had glasses with huge lenses. Then "it" hit me, and by it I think I am referring to the Spirit of the Lord. Kevin, you will be talking with this man. My stubborn and initial response is simply, "that's a negative." I'm quite happy sitting here. Then as the ride went on, I couldn't avoid not talking to the guy, but I was about to anyway. So as we approached my stop, I got up and made my way to the door, as I stood and waited, I heard a faint voice say, "Can you hear me?" I took my earphones out, and looked down at the man I was walked away from talking to, and there he was, getting off at my stop. My head was simply saying, Lord, you were right (again) and why have you given me a second chance with this guy. As we started talking I told him that I had graduated from a Bible college and he went on to tell me how he had graduated from seminary in Korea.............start putting the pieces together, as I certainly was at the time.............and it turns out that he wants to spread the gospel to the poor in Asia. Countries like Myanmar, Cambodia and what not...................Unbelievable. What is more unbelievable is that it turns out my tutoring session was supposed to start at 8, yet what I put in my palm was 8:30. Had I gone at 8, I wouldn't have met with the guy.........................

It was then at the same time that we asked each other for our phone numbers and contact info.
I plan on meeting up with the guy sometime next week for a time of prayer and he mentioned that he would like to invite me to his time of prayer and worship after we meet again.

I am not sure exactly what that will entail, but I look forward to it to say the least, as my traveling experience to this point has told me that the body of the Lord is a phenomenal thing, whether it be in Mexico, Guatemala, East coast to west coast or South Korea.

Anyway, that is my story, I hope to update you again, and I continue to covet your prayers, not just for myself but also for those who are with me (Dan, Rob, Andrea) as well as those we work with. I certainly have had some interesting discussions.

In the grace of the Lord
Kev

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

......yeah God!!! Proverbs 16:9 says, "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps!"

2:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home