As I plan my travels, I also plan to update those back home. This is how............

Monday, June 13, 2005

Dazed and Confussed

Well, I was at Briercrest a few months ago, Vancouver a few days ago, now I feel at home in KOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAA. And I don't know what happened to me

Well, I do know, I sat on a plane for 11 hours and the result was jetlag, which I couldn't beat no matter how hard I tried, one of those things you just have to ride out. It came with a loss of appetite, little sleep, a few dizzy spells and a complete sense of cluelessness. Which would have brought me a weekend of pain and suffering, if it weren't for Andrea and Rob (friends from vancouver) who let me follow them around like a dog dragging behind his owner and essentailly feeling like dead weight. Forunatly they had the same feeling when they first arrived so they were sympathetic and were good sports. They were able to show me around and help me get aquinted with the city, the food, the lifestyle and everything else that comes with arriving in a differant part of the world with the mindset of knowing you will be here for a while...........1 year to be exact!

My first 24 hours in the country consisted of going to a jimjilbong, which is a Korean bathhouse. This included massive sauna's which you and about 100 others can lay in comfotably, all at various temperatures, as well as a bathhouse (skip to the next set of dots if you don't like hearing things straight forward)..........................which was a bunch of naked men (women have there own area) sitting in pools. The nudity was quite blatant and very un-western to say the least....................................... It was quite a first experience. Not sure when I will be back there. Thanks though Rob and Andrea. (I hope sarcasm can be implied online, but somehow I have my doubts).

That night I got about 4 hours of sleep, not sure if that was a result of what I had just been to, or the jet lag, but it wasn't pleasant waking up at 7am wide awake.

The rest of the weekend consisted of walking through Seoul and getting aquanted with the city, which is huge = tired legs which is not what a jet lagged body needs i'm sure, at least this one didn't. So that night I got a great sleep to say the least and as a result, feel like I am settled in.

Sunday consisted of getting my first cellular phone, (not sure if I should be excited about that), church (in English), and a Korean pro soccer game at the World Cup Stadium. Which was included wild yelling or cheering, (I would lean towards yelling) at the opposing team's fans across the stadium. Anyway, the game ended in a tie, there were no fights (which I think are customary in parts of Europe and South America) and all went well.

So here I am now, in Seoul, for a year, and my first impressions are great. I think I will enjoy it here.

I hope to have pictures up when my apartment gets internet access, as I am actually supposed to be working now, so I had better go.

Feel free to leave comments or send me an email when you get a chance.

Be back in a week, as I plan to update the blog every weekend or so

Brother Kev

PS - If any of you who have BA's want to teach over here, send me an email.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Mel, you've lost your mind.

8:00 PM

 
Blogger Kev said...

Mel,

Those were great days wern't they

2:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home